As the 2018-19 school year winds down, I wanted to share my appreciation for your support this year and send out a few reminders.
- If you volunteered in any way this year, please join us after school on Wednesday May 29th, from 1:30-2:30 for a Volunteer Appreciation Event in the Multi-Purpose (MP) room at Palo Verde. Babysitting will be provided in room 15.
- The last day of school is Friday May 31st. Students will be released at 1:15.
- PTA is providing popsicles on the last day during our release. Please stop by the MP room to get one as you leave for the summer.
In addition to the announcements above, I asked our PTA and PiE to provide a summary of the school year. Please read below for more information.
I wish your families all the best. It has been an honor to be the principal of this school for the last three years and I look forward to hearing about how brightly your children shine in the future.
Sincerely, Hillary Miller
UPDATE FROM Partners in Education (PAPiE)
A very special thank you to the families who donated to PiE this year. PiE provided $175,622 to Palo Verde to fund staff this year. This instruction would not be available to our students without parent contributions:
- PiE donations provided our general classroom instructional assistants, who both assist students in their work and facilitate small-group teaching in the classroom.
- PiE entirely funds the Spectra Art program, providing regular art lessons that build creativity and confidence in our students.
- Our popular science labs and instruction from the Palo Alto Junior Museum and Zoo is also funded by PiE and offers hands-on science units to supplement our core curriculum.
- Unlike many of our nearby school districts, we have our own music teachers and dance instructors who provide instruction on instruments to all our students.
All of these programs enrich the education of every student at Palo Verde and expose them to the joys of art, music, and science in ways that would otherwise be limited or unavailable.
UPDATE FROM YOUR PTA (Parent Teacher Association)
As we end the school year, I would like to give you a short update on what we accomplished this year, where your money went, and thank all those who made this year such a great success! This year our money went to buying several things the school needed:
First off - we MET OUR FUNDRAISING GOAL for outdoor shades. PAUSD plans to install them over the summer. We also purchased:
- A storage closet for instruments
- Music sheet stands so the 5th graders don't have to carry them to school and back
- Replacement tables for the MP Room
- School supplies (so you don't have to buy everything on the list before the school year begins!)
- Library funds for new books (annually $7000, which is why our kids have access to the most current materials!)
And of course many other things, such as teacher discretionary funds (increased to $450 per teacher), as well as programs (noon art, walking club, etc) and events (international fair, ice skating, spring social, etc).
Thank you to the 2018-2019 Executive Board: Karolina, Anjani, Basil, Iris, Joslyn, Lindsay, Malati, Molly, Narusha, Nicola, and Shruti, as well as our Teacher Rep, Amy, and our Principal Hillary for all the hard work they put into making this a great year!
I also want to thank all our AMAZING VOLUNTEERS! There have been too many throughout the year to name here, from Room Parents who helped distribute our communications, to Event Chairs, Committee Members, and individual contributors such as our Webmaster and eNews editor. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
Finally, we are happy to introduce the new Executive Board for 2019-2020:
- Co-presidents Martha Mitchell and Na'ama Porat
- Executive VP Karolina Werner
- Co-secretaries Molly Melius and Basil Shen
- Treasurer Shirley Grill Rachman
- Financial Secretary Kaleen Martin
- VP Membership Iris Chen
- Auditor Gargi Ray
- Green Team Joslyn Leve
Please join me in welcoming them, and do not hesitate to contact them with any questions. If you want to volunteer in any capacity and/or join the PTA Board - there are many positions still open! Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stay tuned for information about next year's PTA events in your Back-to-School packets!